- This activity has passed.
Sibshops for Siblings of Children with Autism
June 17 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm$20
Brothers and sisters of children with special needs have feelings that may be hard to express, even to a friend; sadness that a sister has trouble learning, anger when a brother’s behavior prevents the family from doing things other families do, or the special pride when their sibling learns a basic but important life skill. At Sibshopssm, siblings will share these feelings with other who truly understand. Sibshopssm celebrates the many contributions made by brothers and sisters and engages children through fun and games to explore feelings and share information.
- Siblings meet each other in a relaxed, fun setting.
- Talk with others who “get it” about the good and sometimes not so good parts of having a sib with special needs.
- Learn how to handle situations commonly experienced by siblings of children with special needs.
- Learn more about their sibling’s special need.
- Provide parents and other professionals with the chance to learn more about the concerns of siblings of children with autism.
For 7- to 12-year-old brothers and sisters of children with autism. Siblings can attend as many times as they want. The Sibshopssm program changes with every session to meet the needs of the children enrolled.
Fee includes lunch (pizza). If your child has a special dietary need they can bring their lunch.